Weidling announces Berlin's surrender is a scene in Downfall that is rarely used in parodies.
Peter Kranz and his friends see a dead woman leaning inside an APC. A cut of Helmuth Weidling announcing the surrender of Berlin on a recording machine immediately follows. The announcement is broadcasted across Berlin on trucks with hailers. One such truck turns around the corner and comes within sight of Peter, who then runs towards the direction of the truck. He turns out to be running towards his home. After Weidling finishes his announcement, he feels faint and asks for a glass of water before falling on the floor. Peter, upon entering the door to his apartment building, sees a hangman and a few SS soldiers walking out. He heads towards his house on the apartment to find his mother dead on the floor and his father hanged. The scene continues with two different versions:
- In the theatrical edition of the film, the camera shows Krebs and Burgdorf laying dead on the armchairs, with their heads covered. Rochus Misch stares at his Walther, contemplating suicide.
- In the extended edition of the film, the camera shows occupants of the Führerbunker, which are ready to leave the bunker. After this, Krebs and Burgdorf's suicide scene begins.
In the Parodies
While not as commonly used as the other scenes in Downfall, this scene has been used by some Untergangers in their parodies, especially if it calls for Weidling making an announcement for an event, such as in Fegelein: The Lost Tapes' Super Hitler Kart and Soalric Parker's Downfall Parody: The Bunker Games (Hunger Games Spoof). The announcement truck itself is parodied in voice-over parodies with the Downfall cast driving it. TheSilverUniverse also used the scene in his Team DictatorAntics propaganda! when he tried to encourage people to vote for DictatorAntics in the Unterganger Hall of Fame contest in April 2013.
The part where Peter Kranz and his friends approach several dead soldiers and the dead nurse is almost always edited out of parodies. It is only kept when it could be relevant to the parody's topic, like in Notoriousrob01's Weidling Announces A Warning About Ebola To Berlin.
|German transcript and English translation|
|WEIDLING||"Am 30. April 1945 hat der Führer Selbstmord begangen und damit alle, die ihm Treue geschworen hatten, im Stich gelassen.||"On April 30, 1945, the Führer had committed suicide and thus abandoned all who had sworn allegiance to him.|
|"Getreu dem Befehl des Führers wart ihr, deutsche Soldaten, bereit, den Kampf um Berlin fortzusetzen, obwohl eure Munition zur Neige ging und die Gesamtlage den weiteren Widerstand sinnlos machte.||"True to the command of the Führer, you were German soldiers, ready to continue the struggle for Berlin, although your ammunition was running low, and the overall situation made the further resistance useless.|
|"Ich ordne die sofortige Einstellung jeglichen Widerstandes an.||"I order the immediate cessation of any resistance.|
|"Jede Stunde, die ihr weiterkämpft, verlängert die entsetzlichen Leiden der Zivilbevölkerung Berlins und unserer Verwundeten.||"Every hour that you continue to fight, prolong the appalling sufferings of the civilian population of Berlin and our wounded.|
|"Im Einvernehmen mit dem Oberkommando der sowjetischen Truppen fordere ich euch auf, sofort den Kampf einzustellen.||"In agreement with the command post of the Soviet troops, I urge you to stop the fight immediately.|
|"Weidling, ehemaliger Befehlshaber des Verteidigungsbereichs Berlin."||"Weidling, former commander of the Berlin defense area."|
|Bitte, ein Glas Wasser.||Please, a glass of water.|
- The dead woman seen in the disabled Sd.Kfz. 251 (it's actually a close variant, Sd.Kfz.250/3) is supposed to be a Swedish front nurse, who got killed in a breakout attempt over the Großbeeren-Brücke, between 1–2 May 1945 in Berlin.
- Weidling's adjutant appears for the first time since Weidling goes to the Bunker.
- There is another depiction of the same event in Anonyma: A Woman In Berlin. Instead of military trucks broadcasting a pre-recorded tape, Weidling himself made the announcement outdoors standing in his (presumably) staff car, surrounded by Soviet soldiers. This scene, and the cheering Soviet crowd afterward, saw some use in some of mfaizsyahmi's parodies.