|Is it me? Or does Goebbels look a lot less like himself?|
9 May 1959
Playing Joseph Goebbels
Ulrich Matthes was born in Berlin. He studied acting in the early 1980's in Berlin under Else Bongers. Ulrich Matthes studied German and English, because he really wanted to become a teacher, so he also took private acting lessons during his studies. His first engagement brought him to the Vereinigte Bühnen in Krefeld, where he played the title role in "Prinz Friedrich von Homburg". Later he came to Düsseldorf Schauspielhaus, the Bavarian State Theatre, the Munich Studio Theater and the Schaubühne place. Since the 2004/2005 season, he is member of the ensemble at Deutsches Theater in Berlin. In the 2004 movie The Ninth Day, he plays Fr. Henri Kremer, a Catholic priest imprisoned at Dachau.
In 2005 he was voted "Actor of the Year" by 'Theater heute' magazine for his performance in Edward Albees' "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?".
Ulrich Matthes has also dubbed many English speaking actors such as Kenneth Branagh, Malcolm McDowell, Charlie Sheen, Ralph Fiennes, and Richard Thomas.
- It's ironic that the phrase Kapitulieren? Niemals! came from the mouth of a man born on Victory's Day.
- Herr Matthes stands at 5'10. The real Joesph Goebbels stood at about 5'4, so when he played Skeletor in the movie, Matthes was about six inches too tall.
- Die Unsichtbare (2011) .... Ben Kästner
- Neue Vahr Süd (2010) .... Hauptmann
- Sergej in der Urne (2009) .... Sergej (voice)
- Novemberkind (2008) .... Robert
- Wer war Kafka? (2006) .... Récitant / Narrator (voice)
- Geheimes Deutschland - Eine Reise zur Spiritualität der Frühromantik (2006) .... (voice)
- Vineta (2006) .... Dr. Leonhard
- Downfall (2004) .... Joseph Goebbels
- Mitfahrer (2004) .... Peter
- Neunte Tag, Der (2004) .... Abbé Henri Kremer
- Mörderherz (2002) .... Dr. Graf
- Hahn ist tot, Der (2000) .... Kommissar Steiner
- Abschied - Brechts letzter Sommer (2000) .... Wolfgang Harig
- Framed (1999) .... Beck
- Polizeiruf 110 - Mörderkind (1999) .... Psychologe
- Aimée & Jaguar (1999) .... Eckert (SS)
- Feuerreiter (1998) .... Baron Isaac von Sinclair
- Abgehauen (1998) .... Eberhard E
- Winterschläfer (1997) .... Rene
- Todesspiel (1997) .... Jan-Carl Raspe
- Polizeiruf 110 - Der Sohn der Kommissarin (1997) .... Partner
- Nikolaikirche - Biserica Nikolai (1995) .... Alexander
- Falscher Schritt, Ein (1995) .... Georg Klein
- Mörder und sein Kind, Der (1995) .... Rainer Dreyer
- Herr Ober! (1992) .... TV showmaster
- Artur, Peter und der Eskimo (1973) .... Peter
- Wesenacks, Die (1970) .... Fränzchen
- An einem Tag im September (1969) .... Max