FANDOM


  • Yes, we currently have no policy regarding YT usernames, so here's a thread to discuss and establish one. I'll start:

    For retired people whose documentation here are now historical records, I prefer we use the username as it was at the time the user is most known for. For example, when the xbox parody was uploaded [s]he was known as MOTURK49 so we keep that name even if [s]he changed the channel name afterwards. Name changes are thus only referred to towards the end of the page, not not in the first paragraph.

    For people who changed name and still active, or his parody making continues into the new name before becoming inactive, use the new name, or the last name before inactivity i.e. the last notable name. Previous names should be included after first mention in the first paragraph, and in subsequent paragraphs when talking about the history of the channel use the names as it was at the time.

    In other words, I think it is not necessary to reflect the latest name these channels are using. It might be a nostalgia on my part, and that new people would only see the latest names these people are using, but I think it is important to remember history the way it was as it happen, and that newer people can learn more about the past.

    Hope we can clear this gray area and have a consistent YT naming policy from this point onward.


    Edit: Starting with post #8 discussion will include the "generation" of gangers.

      Loading editor
    • Here's what I think: All names should be kept except at all times unless:

      • There's been a name change due to termination or the Unterganger's accord while they're still active.
        • Since there's the grey area known as dormant, apply the first point if they turn out to retire, and the second point if they return.

      It's not really a nostalgia on your part. We should keep the name they actually were known as for history purposes.

        Loading editor
    • I second this.

        Loading editor
    • In other words, the old names are technically grandfathered and the Unterganger will be referred to as such. +1 vouch on that one mate, and nice to have you back here.

        Loading editor
    • Blakegripling ph wrote: ...nice to have you back here.

      I warmed up a bit after seeing a fellow old guard returning.

        Loading editor
    • Agreed; it would only sow confusion if we kept updating the usernames repeatedly, especially when people don't recognise the newer usernames.

        Loading editor
    • I think enough consensus has been gathered to put this policy into the Manual of Style, in this section. I've also put additional stuff like minor differences like spaces and capitalizations, and where previous/alternate names can be used.

      Feedback welcomed.

        Loading editor
    • We have unfortunately skipped the matter of determining "generation", specifically with Del who returned after a very long dormancy. I'll be appropriating this thread to continue discussion into that matter.

      Since I've never heard of him back in 2nd gen, and he only ever made 3 parodies of unknown view count (as it was back then), under our current notability requirements I don't think he could be considered notable and have a page back then.

      Due to the lack of policy regarding "gens" he's able to have his way, request to be put into 2nd gen, which is highly unrepresentative of the current situation keeping in mind the years-long gap between activity.

      So I propose for the case of being a long-time dormant, that unless he's already known from back then he should not be classified as the "older gen", only the current one (ie whenever he made the return).

        Loading editor
    • Mfaizsyahmi wrote: We have unfortunately skipped the matter of determining "generation", specifically with Del who returned after a very long dormancy. I'll be appropriating this thread to continue discussion into that matter.

      Since I've never heard of him back in 2nd gen, and he only ever made 3 parodies of unknown view count (as it was back then), under our current notability requirements I don't think he could be considered notable and have a page back then.

      Due to the lack of policy regarding "gens" he's able to have his way, request to be put into 2nd gen, which is highly unrepresentative of the current situation keeping in mind the years-long gap between activity.

      So I propose for the case of being a long-time dormant, that unless he's already known from back then he should not be classified as the "older gen", only the current one (ie whenever he made the return).

      I classified him under 2nd gen because he asked to be classified as such. Considering the 3 parodies he made back then are the bulk of his parody views I say that he should be classified as what he wants.


      Also there's Gilblitz112, and the fact that he's also able to be classified as 2nd Gen. Then again he's ok with being classified as 4th so no problem there. I think it should be up to the Unterganger provided the parodies they made back then are now notable.

        Loading editor
    • This is the first I've heard of an Unterganger to start off during the time period of an earlier generation, only to die down for a long period of time before returning into prominence in a later generation. Most if not all Untergangers usually go on continuously once they start their parody-making business.

      QuestionTuesdayFTW wrote:

      I classified him under 2nd gen because he asked to be classified as such. Considering the 3 parodies he made back then are the bulk of his parody views I say that he should be classified as what he wants.

      Also there's Gilblitz112, and the fact that he's also able to be classified as 2nd Gen. Then again he's ok with being classified as 4th so no problem there. I think it should be up to the Unterganger provided the parodies they made back then are now notable.

      Honestly when I was reading the above post I was expecting Del's first three parodies to be really popular with tons of views. I was disappointed. There is little to no difference between the view counts of his earlier parodies and his current ones. Back then he's not notable, right now he still isn't (in terms of popularity).

      I feel that when determining the debut generation of an Unterganger we must factor in these conditions:

      • Firstly, if the Unterganger continues making parodies long-term after the release of his debut parody,
      • Secondly, if the Unterganger has made connections with the rest of the Unterganging community during the time period of a certain generation,
      • and thirdly, if the Unterganger becomes notable enough by any means during that generation period.

      Most of the Untergangers we've seen and known fulfill these requirements such that a definitive debut generation can be set for them. If it sounds really complicated, I'll just bring up a few examples:

      • Soalric debuted during the second generation time period, and has continued to make parodies ever since his debut right until his retirement. He has also become really notable in the community. Hence he is classified to be 2nd-gen.
      • Deficere2 debuted during the second generation time period and became notable due to his popular parodies until the termination of his channel. Thus he is classified to be 2nd-gen.
      • For my own case, even though my new channel was only created during the 4th generation period, due to my past continued history since the 2nd generation, I am classified as 2nd-gen instead of 4th-gen.
      • Gilblitz112 is a complex case. I don't know why he technically can be classified as 2nd-gen, since I have so far not yet seen any record of his parodies or notability from the 2nd-gen period (his wiki article never mentions anything about 2nd-gen history either). Theoretically his classification as a 4th-gen is correct.

      Currently as I see it, Del's limited parody-making activity in the past before slipping into long-term inactivity can be compared to YouTubers who make one-off Hitler parodies before moving on to other content and never returning to do Hitler parodies again, except that Del indeed does return after a long period of time to start making parodies long-term.

      Thus, all things considered, I feel that Del's actual debut into Unterganging should be set at the current fifth generation, and that his activity during the second generation period should only be seen as one-off.

      I suggest establishing the "one-off debut" status for anyone who makes one-off Hitler parodies without continuing into long-term Unterganging for a long period of time. For people like Del who go into long-term Unterganging some time after their "one-off debut", their debut generation should be set at the generation at which they debuted into long-term Unterganging and not at the generation at which their "one-off debut" took place, though the "one-off debut" should be given a brief mention as well.

        Loading editor
    • Gokyr586 wrote: This is the first I've heard of an Unterganger to start off during the time period of an earlier generation, only to die down for a long period of time before returning into prominence in a later generation. Most if not all Untergangers usually go on continuously once they start their parody-making business.

      QuestionTuesdayFTW wrote:

      I classified him under 2nd gen because he asked to be classified as such. Considering the 3 parodies he made back then are the bulk of his parody views I say that he should be classified as what he wants.

      Also there's Gilblitz112, and the fact that he's also able to be classified as 2nd Gen. Then again he's ok with being classified as 4th so no problem there. I think it should be up to the Unterganger provided the parodies they made back then are now notable.

      Honestly when I was reading the above post I was expecting Del's first three parodies to be really popular with tons of views. I was disappointed. There is little to no difference between the view counts of his earlier parodies and his current ones. Back then he's not notable, right now he still isn't (in terms of popularity).

      I feel that when determining the debut generation of an Unterganger we must factor in these conditions:

      • Firstly, if the Unterganger continues making parodies long-term after the release of his debut parody,
      • Secondly, if the Unterganger has made connections with the rest of the Unterganging community during the time period of a certain generation,
      • and thirdly, if the Unterganger becomes notable enough by any means during that generation period.

      Most of the Untergangers we've seen and known fulfill these requirements such that a definitive debut generation can be set for them. If it sounds really complicated, I'll just bring up a few examples:

      • Soalric debuted during the second generation time period, and has continued to make parodies ever since his debut right until his retirement. He has also become really notable in the community. Hence he is classified to be 2nd-gen.
      • Deficere2 debuted during the second generation time period and became notable due to his popular parodies until the termination of his channel. Thus he is classified to be 2nd-gen.
      • For my own case, even though my new channel was only created during the 4th generation period, due to my past continued history since the 2nd generation, I am classified as 2nd-gen instead of 4th-gen.
      • Gilblitz112 is a complex case. I don't know why he technically can be classified as 2nd-gen, since I have so far not yet seen any record of his parodies or notability from the 2nd-gen period (his wiki article never mentions anything about 2nd-gen history either). Theoretically his classification as a 4th-gen is correct.

      Currently as I see it, Del's limited parody-making activity in the past before slipping into long-term inactivity can be compared to YouTubers who make one-off Hitler parodies before moving on to other content and never returning to do Hitler parodies again, except that Del indeed does return after a long period of time to start making parodies long-term.

      Thus, all things considered, I feel that Del's actual debut into Unterganging should be set at the current fifth generation, and that his activity during the second generation period should only be seen as one-off.

      I suggest establishing the "one-off debut" status for anyone who makes one-off Hitler parodies without continuing into long-term Unterganging for a long period of time. For people like Del who go into long-term Unterganging some time after their "one-off debut", their debut generation should be set at the generation at which they debuted into long-term Unterganging and not at the generation at which their "one-off debut" took place, though the "one-off debut" should be given a brief mention as well.

      Check the comments of the Fourth-generation Untergangers page. That's where the Gilblitz case appears. I think we need input from all Admins.

        Loading editor
    • Let it come down to what purpose we're having "generations" in the first place. This had become very hazy even to me, and I might push my own ideals but I do believe it's been discussed around the time the concept was drawn up.

      Each generation not only describe the specific time period, it also describe the trend, parody style and development, conflict and media exposure. Hence if someone talks about parody themes eg Stalin Parodies we know he's probably talking about gen-2.

      I did not examine Del's videos, but if someone did, please take into account the parody style, whether it has the characteristic of 2-gen or otherwise, and whether it is consistent between his "old" and "new" tenure. My bet is that the three old parodies are generic traditionalist, which don't give any specific gen any merit.

        Loading editor
    • So after I protected the aforementioned page when it became obvious we may have an editing war about the gen, I got approached by Delphox and we got into the following conversation.

      Delphox - Today at 7:28 AM

      dammit why did you remove the 2nd gen unterganger for del


      QuestionableAntics - Today at 7:57 AM

      I should be yelling at you

      We're still figuring that out

      Since Faiz says Del should be 5th gen


      Delphox - Today at 7:57 AM

      well

      if faiz thinks del should be 5th gen


      QuestionableAntics - Today at 7:57 AM

      But since he wants 2nd gen it's a problem

      So


      Delphox - Today at 7:57 AM

      gradnayy shouldnt be a 5th gen

      like his categories

      "5th gen unterganger"


      QuestionableAntics - Today at 7:58 AM

      We are not negotiating shit


      Delphox - Today at 7:58 AM

      if del wants to be a 2nd gen left him

      if faiz wants to make del a 5th gen

      he has to change a lot of other people

      like traitorloxoz


      QuestionableAntics - Today at 7:58 AM

      Because?


      Delphox - Today at 7:59 AM

      because traitor only made one parody in 2014

      and didnt start until 2015'

      if we go based off of their "big" debut in unterganing history

      then facts might be historically inaccurate

      and you have to do it for all parties


      QuestionableAntics - Today at 8:00 AM

      I'll bring this up with him


      Delphox - Today at 8:01 AM

      dont make me bring parker

      hrp

      and others

      del even made 3 parodies

      3

      before

      yet grandayy gets a page

      and is a 5th gen

      when he isnt even a legit unterganger

      we should respect that other people want for their pages

      thats why many were removed due to respect

      forcing someone to be a 5th gen even if they have evidence that they are rly 2nd

      and even made 3 parodies during that time

      and want to identify as 5th


      Maybe we should consider the following points.

      • If we force Del to be classified as 5th gen because that was when their big break was, then many others such as TraitorLoxoz will also need to be reclassified.
      • Delphox says that grandayy shouldn't be classified as an Unterganger, and a 5th gen, at that, because he's not legit. We can probably ignore this point.
      • We should be respecting what the person wants for their page, since we let people have their pages deleted.
        Loading editor
    • Untergangers should be in the generation they uploaded their first parody, despite lose of channel, gaps in activity or name changes.

        Loading editor
    • Just a question, why was a conversation I had with QT in private brought up in this wiki for everyone to see? When you said bring it up to him I thought you would just mention it and not directly copy and paste what I said.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.